9/21/09

Book Review of Fresh Start by Doug Fields

Fresh Start

by Doug Fields


A Fresh Start...don' t think that the title tells it all. Starting over is what God is all about, after all, like the bumper sticker says,

"God Allows Do Overs".  Doug Fields, who is a teaching pastor at Saddleback Church, does an excellent job pointing out,

(Biblically I might add), that no matter what you've gone through, no matter how far you may have "fallen from grace", God

still offers the awesome possibility to truly have a fresh start. With all the Biblical characters that Doug mentions, it is clear

that God has a plan for everyone that begins with a fresh start.


Having said that, I must say that I can tell that Doug spent 25 years as a youth pastor. Although his writing is very clear, and

again, has a good Biblical base, it is loaded with a stylized humor that, for me, is rather distracting. I love humor mixed with

theology and spiritual thinking, but the rule of comedy or humor is timing, and his timing can be a little off.


I did enjoy the book very much, though. The encouragement to me personally, was much needed. I really felt that this book,

being my first from Thomas Nelson Publishers for me to review, was planned by God. I do recommend this book to everyone,

because truthfully, everyone needs a Fresh Start.


I review for Thomas Nelson Book Review Bloggers


No comments:

Post a Comment