10/15/10

JESUS & MODERN CHRISTIANITY: Is there a difference?

I have a couple of friends who have left the church of their upbringing, and to all appearances, God as well. I guess I technically haven't "left" the denomination of my upbringing, even though I don't adhere to some teachings like I once did. With that being said, I may leave a denomination...I may no longer label myself by a particular "brand"...but I will never throw out the Baby (Jesus) with the bath water.

I wonder what makes people not only leave Jesus behind, but even become antagonistic towards Him. I understand that some have been hurt, disappointed or disillusioned with Christianity as a result of someone being a butt-head or something even worse. I am by no means defending anyone or any action that has caused pain...enough pain to make a person walk away from Christ. But I am here to remind you that Jesus is not the same as Christianity...sad but true.

A movement started 2,000 years ago by a Man who literally epitomized love, compassion, forgiveness and freedom has been maligned by His own people by their actions over the past 1,800 years. Within 200+ years after He left, His followers have been devoted to the Church rather than to the Lord of the Church. Everything terrible that can be attributed to Christians throughout history can also be disputed simply by looking at the life of Jesus as recorded in the Gospels and His words when He said, "Not everyone who calls me 'Lord, Lord' are mine."

I would love nothing more than for everyone, those who believe in Him as well as those who do not, to be able to take their blinders off and see the Jesus that I see. Unvarnished, pure, no pretenses...just Jesus. No forcing, no guilting, no reciting vows other than confessing Him as Lord & God and sharing your knowledge of Him with others. Knowing Him is so simple...but we've complicated the heck out of it!

I think about my bride, Beth. I fell in love with her immediately. I am more in love with her now than yesterday and will only love her more tomorrow. Having gotten to know her better over the 20 years we've known each other, having been married 19 of them, I can't help but love her...and I know she loves me more than anyone else, except Jesus, which I would have no other way. That is the way it can be with Jesus...the more you get to know Him, you can't walk away from Him. My point is, if you have walked away from church, that's fine...but do not make the mistake of walking away from Jesus, too. If you have, then the church you walked away from never showed Him to you in the first place...not really.
Find Him for yourself - and if you need help, let me know...maybe I can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment